‘Connecting BME Staff across the Coventry University Group to create a positive change’
The Coventry University BME Staff Network provides a forum for staff that identify as Black and Minority Ethnic (BME). The Network aims to provide the following:
- Opportunities to support and engage with BME Staff across the University Group
- A forum to share experiences, ideas, opportunities, and challenges, as well as discuss various topics and subjects of interest
- A ‘safe space’ and environment to meet other BME staff
- An opportunity to talk openly and candidly about your ‘lived experiences’.
- An opportunity for dialogue with Leadership across the university towards creating a more inclusive, representative and equitable campus and working environment.
- Opportunities for highlighting and tackling racial inequalities
- A route to influence, promote and embed race equality, as key contributors to the Race Equality Council and the Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Council.
- Opportunities to be engaged in consultations on university strategies, policies, guidance and practice
- An opportunity to discuss insights shard by Black Staff Networks across the sector on tackling racial inequalities in HE
We meet regularly throughout the year, for informal catch ups, discussion groups, forums and webinars. You can view upcoming events by visiting out ‘Events’ page.
Membership is open to all BME staff at Coventry University, both new and existing. If you would like to join the Network, then please complete this short survey. Once we receive your responses, a member of the Admin team will be in touch with more details. If you would like to discuss your interest before completing the survey please contact Annette Hay at A.Hay@coventry.ac.uk.
Professor A G John · 2 November 2020 at 2:27 pm
Huge thanks to Annette and all of you for building this website and facilitating more extensive and more focused communication amongst us and greater strategic engagement with the University Groups agenda to promote racial equality and eliminate unlawful discrimination. I very much endorse the Network’s aims and would implore everyone to take personal responsibility for ensuring that we meet these aims. Annette, Kauser and Fiona put together and delivered a most impressive Black History Month programme during October, with attendance at most of the events open to colleagues beyond the Coventry University Group. I know that many of those attendees intend keeping in touch with Annette and this Network. In this regard, I would like you to consider adding one more Aim, i.e.,:
– An opportunity to discuss insights shard by Black Staff Networks across the sector on tackling racial inequalities in HE.
Congratulations! and I very much look forward to contributing to the site from time to time.
Kauser Husain · 2 November 2020 at 3:40 pm
Dear Professor Gus, thank you very much for your message and continued support of the BME Staff Network. We are incredibly grateful for your contributions and for your hard work towards the cause of tackling racial inequalities within the HE and wider community. We look forward to seeing your work being shared on the website.